First Aid at Work Course
First Aid at Work Course
The First Aid at Work Course is a three day course, designed for companies that may have a higher chance of dealing with more serious injuries. Generally we would recommend organisations involved in construction, engineering, manuyfacturing, outdoor pursuits, larger hotels, tree surgeons etc to have their first aiders qualified to this level. It helps you meet your legal requirements as laid down by the Health and Safety First Aid Regulations 1981, to provide adequate first aid provision, find out more about this legislation here.
Good Skills Training are experts at delivering the First Aid at Work Course in an enjoyable and interactive way, when and where you need it and we pride ourselves on delivering courses that produce confident, safe, prompt and effective first aiders.
Contact Good Skills Training today to find out why our customers come back time and time again to have their staff first aid trained by us ... 01473 551911
Key Features for the First Aid at Work Course
Who is the First Aid at Work Course for?
The First Aid at Work Course is designed for anyone who wants a comprehensive knowledge of first aid. The course is specifically designed for first aiders from larger, or high risk sector comapnies
Max. Learners per Tutor
First Aid Industry Body (FAIB)
What will I learn in the First Aid at Work Course?
- Understand the role and responsibility of a first aider
- Be able to assess an incident
- Be able to manage an unresponsive casualty who is breathing normally
- Be able to manage an unresponsive casualty who is not breathing normally including AED
- Recognise and assist a casualty who is choking
- Manage a casualty who is wounded and bleeding
- Manage a casualty who is in shock
- Understand how to manage a casualty with a minor injury
- Be able to conduct a secondary survey
- Be able to administer first aid to a casualty with injuries to bones, muscles and joints
- Be able to administer first aid to a casualty with suspected head and spinal injuries
- Be able to administer first aid to a casualty with a suspected chest injury
- Be able to administer first aid to a casualty with burns and scalds
- Be able to administer first aid to a casualty with an eye injury
- Be able to administer first aid to a casualty with sudden poisoning
- Be able to administer first aid to a casualty with anaphylaxis
- Be able to administer first aid to a casualty with suspected major illness
How long does the First Aid at Work Course take?
The First Aid at Work Course is normally completed over three days, 09:30 - 16:30. There is a requirement to complete 18 contact hours.
This course can be completed either in three consecutive days or over several of weeks. If you would like the course delivered over more than three days, then please let us know when quoting as this will affect the price.
What can I expect during my First Aid at Work Course?
The First Aid at Work Course is a practical course and we ask all learners to take an active role in the sessions. There will be some kneeling required during the course to carry our CPR and place people in the recover position. There will also be other practical sessions where you will be required to bandage other members of the course and check them for injuries. Learners are asked to play the part of casualties during the practical sessions, if for any reason you will not be able to be a casualty then please let the tutor know as soon as possible (preferably before the course starts).
If for any reason you will not be able to carry out the practical elements of the course, please let us know prior to the course. This will enable us to talk with you and look at any strategies we may be able to put in place to enable you to have an active part in the course and assess you in first aid.
There will be some theory during the course as well as a multiple-choice assessment. If you have any specific learning needs, such as dyslexia, or if English is your second language, once again please let us know prior to the course.
How will I be assessed during my First Aid at Work Course?
The First aid at Work Course is an assessed course. You will be assessed at various points throughout the course on you practical application of the syllabus. There are also two multiple choice assessment papers throughout the course.
How do I keep up to date with my First Aid at Work Qualification?
It is strongly recommended by the HSE that first aiders undergo an annual ½ day First Aid Refresher Course to keep their skills up to date. We can provide this for you if required. After three years learners must undertake a Two day First Aid at Work Requalification Course to keep their First Aid at Work qualification valid. If you allow your qualification to lapse then you will not be counted as part of the first aid cover for your company.
First aid at Work Course Dates
To see the dates for our next public courses, please click here. If you have 4 or more people it may be cost effective to have your course in-house, please fill in the form below, or contact us for more details.