First Response Course
First Response Course
The First Response Course is a one-day course, designed for Scout and Girlguiding Leaders, to give them the knowledge and skills to deal with an emergency and apply basic first aid. The First Response Course is a requirement for individuals wishing to become a leader and must be renewed every three years to maintain your warrant.
Who is the First Response Course for?
- Scout Leaders, or those wishing to become Scout Leaders
- Girlguiding Leaders, or those wishing to become leaders
- Other Youth Groups, not needing an accredited qualification, but requiring some basic first aid knowledge
What is in the First Response Course syllabus?
- What is First Aid
- Responsibilities First Aiders in Scouts and Guides
- Primary Assessment
- Secondary Assessment
- CPR for Adults and Children
- Seizures and Epilepsy
- Asthma, Hyperventilation and Drowning
- Heart Attacks and Angina
- Shock and Bleeding
- Anaphylactic Shock
- Bone, Joint and Muscle Injuries
- Head Injuries
- Effects of the Heat and Cold
- Burns and Scalds
How long does it take to complete the First Response Course?
- This course is normally completed in a day, normal hours are 09:00 – 17:00
What will be included in my First Response Course?
- Training to national standards
- Manual for each learner
- Certificates on successfully completing the course for each person
How is the First Response Course Assessed?
- The First Response Course is not assessed.
- This course is designed to impart information, but does not assess competency
How is the First Response Course certificated, or accredited?
- The First Response Course is not an accredited qualification.
- The First Response Course covers the syllabus laid down by The Scout Association and Girlguiding Association
- On successfully completing this course all learners receive an A4 certificate
How do I renew my First Response Course?
- The First Response Certificate is valid for 3 years. At this point you undertake another First Response Course
Booking an onsite course:
To enquire about an onsite course for your staff, please either call our head office, 01473 551911, or one of our local offices, or fill in the enquiry form below