Paediatric First Aid Course
Paediatric First Aid Course
The Paediatric First Aid Course is a comprehensive, two-day course designed for those that work with children in an early years setting. This first aid course is the one required under the Early Years Framework, to meet the legal requirements of settings for first aid provision. Under this legislation you must have a paediatric first aider available whenever children are present and on any trips or outings. On successfully completing this course, attendees will be confident, safe, prompt and effective paediatric first aiders.
Public Paediatric First Aid Courses near me
Who is the Paediatric First Aid Course for?
- The designated first aiders in early years settings, including:
- Nursery workers
- Staff working in early years in primary schools
- Foster Carers
- Others that work with children, or would like a comprehensive knowledge of how to administer first aid to children and babies
What is in the Paediatric First Aid Course syllabus?
- What is first aid
- Legal requirements of first aid in paediatric settings
- Responsibilities of the paediatric first aider
- Primary survey
- Basic principles of AED use – turning AED on, pad placement and following instructions
- Recovery position
- Bone, joint and muscle injuries
- Head injuries – includes general bumps, concussion, cerebral compression, skull fractures, spinal injuries & strokes
- Eye, ear and nose injuries
- Breathing issues – includes asthma, hyperventilation & smoke inhalation
- Shock related conditions – includes heart attacks, angina, fainting & anaphylactic shock (epi-pen)
- Chronic Medical Conditions & illnesses – includes diabetes, febrile convulsions, meningitis, croup, sickle cell, scarlet fever, chicken pox
- Effects of the Heat and Cold
- Bites and Stings
How long does it take to complete the Paediatric First Aid Course?
- This course is normally completed over 2-days, 12 contact hours.
- The course can be run in consecutive days, or over two weeks.
- The course can be run over multiple sessions; however, this costs more to deliver the course in this way. Please let us know when booking the course that you require more than one session.
What will be included in my Paediatric First Aid Course?
- Training to national standards
- Manual for each learner
- Certificates on successfully completing the course and assessments, for each person
How is the Paediatric First Aid Course Assessed?
- Practical assessments to ensure competency in each assessment criteria
- Written multiple choice examination
- 30-minute examination at the end of the course
- 20 questions
- Pass mark is 15
How is the Paediatric First Aid Course certificated, or Accredited?
- The Paediatric First Aid Course is accredited through the First Aid Industry Body (FAIB)
- Good Skills Training’s registration number is 1765/97 (132)
- On successfully completing the assessment all learners receive an A4 certificate (we can produce credit card certificates as well if required, please ask us for details on this)
What routes for progression are there after my Paediatric First Aid Course?
To enquire about an onsite course for your staff, please either call our head office, 01473 551911, or one of our local offices, or fill in the enquiry form below.