Know Your Responsibilities

There are a wide range of legislation that companies have to ensure they adhere to. We will be adding these to this site over the coming months.

Health and Safety (First-Aid) Regulations 1981

This legislation requires employers to provide adequate and appropriate, first aid equipment, facilities and personnel to ensure that employees receive imediate attention if they are injured or taken ill at work. These regulations apply to every work place, regardless of the number of employees.

What this essentially means is that you must have enough first aid kits to be able to deal with injuries quickly. If you have a large site then you will need more than one first aid kit. First aid kits must contain the equipment in them to be able to deal with any injury that is likely to, or it is reasonable to persume could occur in your workplace environment. If you need help with first aid or AED supplies please visit our other site, or give us a call on 01473 599099 to talk about your needs.

You must also have enough first aiders to quickly deal with an injury. Once again you must take into account if you have a large site, opperate shift work, have remote working crews or holiday patterns to ensure that all your staff always have a first aider available to them.

But There Are So Many Courses To Choose From! - essentially you have two choices to make:

  1. What kind of risk is my company? Are we likely to deal with injuries or illnesses such as fractures, dislocations, crush injuries, spinal injuries, burns, poisoning, heart atacks, asthma, anaphylactic shock, extreme heat or cold. If the answer to any of these is yes, then you need the three day First Aid at Work Course. If you already have first Aiders then you need the two day First Aid at Work Re-qualification Course. If you are unlikely to come across any of these injuries then the Emergency First Aid at Work Course might be right for you. In any case, if you are unsure please give us a call and we will be happy to help.
  2. OFQUAL or FAIB? -  if you are not involved in the first aid industry then this probably means nothing to you! Basically in 2013 the HSE withdrew from monitoring and aproving first aid qualifications. All of the onus is now on your the employer to ensure that yor first aid provider meets the legal requirements for first aid provision! There are three routes for this. In all three cases the content of the courses should be the same. The assessment methods may vary slightly. The qualifications and experience of trainers is exactly the same. - for more infomration on selecting the right provider please click here
    1. Regulated Qualifications (OFQUAL) - these are qualifications managed by OFQUAL. They approved Awarding Bodies, who then approve the indivdual trainign comapnies. We offer Level 2 and Level 3 qualifciations through the Highfield Awarding Body of Compliance (HABC) for First Aid. Certificates and paperwork is produced by the HABC and we are monitored by them.
    2. Operate Under Voluntary Accreditation Schemes - We are registered with the First Aid industry Body (FAIB) - This is recognised by the HSE as a valid route for first aid approval. We are registered directly with FAIB. They come out and ensure that we are doing what we should be doing and we produce all paperwork and certificates for our courses.
    3. Independant - For Accredited courses this is not something we do as it involves alot more work for our customers. If you decide to follow this route you have to show how you have ensured that the syllabus is correct and trainers are qualified to deliver these courses.

All first aiders are strongly recomended to undergo annual first aid refresher training to keep their skills fully updated and fresh, so if they are called to an emergency they can deal with it in a safe, prompt and effective manner.

For more information on the Health and Safety (First-Aid) Regulations 1982, please click here

Affiliated Companys