QNUK Level 3 Award in Outdoor First Aid
Need to know more?
We understand you may still have further questions, in which case please get in touch with us, either call 01473 551911, or click here
The QNUK Level 3 Award in Outdoor First Aid qualification is aimed at people undertaking the role of a first aider in an outdoors environment where help may take up to 2-hours to arrive, attendees are typically people that require an outdoor first aid qualification to meet NGB requirements, including the BCU, BASI, MLTB etc. These may typically be outdoor activity instructors, or mountain leaders and others that have an interest in outdoor and remote sports.
Who is the Course For?
Nominated first aiders in an outdoor environment
Anyone with an interest in outdoor first aid where help maybe up to 2-hours away
The QNUK Level 3 Award in Outdoor First Aid covers the syllabus required under ‘The Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981 for Emergency First Aid at Work, which can be found on the HSE website. Along with this the course allows extra time for injuries commonly found in outdoor environments to be covered.
- Roles and responsibilities of a first aider in an outdoor environment
- Managing an incident in an outdoor environment
- Assessing first aid incidents, including primary survey
- Unconscious casualties, including seizure & recovery position
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and use of an automated external defibrillator (AED)
- Adjustments for CPR to:
- A child
- Lightning strike
- Remote from immediate help
- Choking casualties
- Wounds and bleeding, including use of trauma dressings, haemostatic agents and tourniquets
- Casualties suffering from shock
- Water immersion and cold water shock
- Minor injuries, including grazes, splinters and minor scalds and burns
- First Aid for casualties who have been immersed in water
- Secondary surveys
- Bone, joint and muscle injuries
- Head injuries
- Spinal injuries
- Chest injuries
- Burns and scalds
- Eye injuries
- Bites and stings
- Heart Attacks
- Effects of the heat and cold
- The QNUK Level 3 Award in Outdoor First Aid is aimed at those over 16. Learners between 14-16 years can undertake the qualification, however they should not be relied upon by employers to be a sole First Aider
- It is recommended that candidates have a minimum of Level 2 literacy and numeracy or equivalent. There are no other prerequisites for this qualification.
- Learners are required to demonstrate first aid procedures as they would in a real work environment. This includes providing CPR to a casualty who is on the floor, therefore learners must be physically capable of doing this.
16 guided learning hours (contact hours)
Good Skills Training normally deliver this course over 3-days, 09:30 – 16:30
Maximum Learners Per Tutor
Multiple choice exam paper and practical assessment.
QNUK Level 3 Award in Outdoor First Aid certificates are valid for 3-years. Before the expiry date of their QNUK Level 3 Award in Outdoor First Aid certificate, learners must redo the QNUK Level 3 Award in Outdoor First Aid.
It is also strongly recommended by the HSE that all First Aiders undergo annual refresher training.