Schools Health & Safety Consultancy
What do you get?
- 1 Full audit per year. For Primary Schools this is generally 1 full day in year one and half a day in years 2&3.
- 1 short visit each term (usually around 1 hour) to touch base and check that everything is running well.
- Telephone support throughout the contract.
- On-line accident reporting system and support completing RIDDOR online reports to HSE
- Risk assessment templates and advice on the risk assessment process
- 10% discount on any training courses that we run
Basic service delivery for Health and Safety?
- Provides Health and Safety advice and support for school leadership in line with legal standards required by HSE. This includes advice on policies, risk assessments, record keeping and reporting in relation to all aspects of health & safety, including Fire and Food Safety where applicable.
- Keeps the school up-to-date with local and national changes in legislation or otherwise in relation to Health and Safety. Minimum termly update. This would usually be in writing but may, in exceptional urgent circumstances be by telephone.
- Provides the school with access to appropriately qualified, competent and experienced personnel to support and advise in relation to Health and Safety matters; readily accessible during normal working hours by telephone and e-mail. (At least 09.00-17.00hrs). Provides emergency access out of core hours. We have a number of key staff with a wealth of experience in all aspects of school leadership and management, including an ex Premises Manager with over 15 years of giving health and safety advice to a number of schools and an ex vice-principal with NPQH who’s remit included health and safety.
- Provides advisors in the local area to facilitate face to face meetings when necessary.
- Undertake an annual audit and review of Health and Safety management Systems including fire prevention and awareness. We complete an annual Health and Safety Audit and review including written reports, action plans and advice on all areas of improvement to ensure compliance. In addition we undertake termly visits to the schools that we work with as we believe that shorter visits undertaken regularly are more beneficial to both ourselves and the school in helping us to understand any Health and Safety issues, and to develop a good working relationship with staff responsible for Health and Safety in the schools
- Continuing support should the status of the school change, for example becoming an academy. Whilst this may require certain changes to policies etc and amendments to the contract, we would continue to provide our service whilst this was resolved.
- Provides all advice in accordance with the relevant school policies. While many schools have their own policies and procedures already in place, we would check to ensure that these meet all legal requirements, and are able to offer templates and advice where any policies are found to be missing, or need updating/amendment.
- Undertake a review of core health and safety policies and procedures.
- Provides a clear charging structure for basic service and when any additional charges may apply. Additional charges to be in-line with current charging policy and communicated at point of enquiry.
- Indemnifies the school against any claims resulting from advice given and acted upon. A copy of our insurance cover can be provided to schools entering a contract with us.
- Act as an advocate for the school in cases of potential health and safety claims made against the school, offering relevant advice and guidance to ensure appropriate procedures are followed. Support during legal/enforcement processes. Depending on the length of time involved, particularly where court appearances may be necessary, there may be an additional charge for this service.
Included in the contract is a half day session for all staff covering their basic health and safety responsibilities. We are able to provide separate and distinct training for staff, managers and governors on a range of topics at an additional cost, including:
- Health and Safety Management for Heads/Managers/Supervisors/staff
- Health and Safety training for Governors
- Health and Safety for Caretakers
- School First Aid (1 day)
- First Aid at Work (3 day)
- Emergency First Aid at Work (1 day)
- Paediatric First Aid (12hour)
- Emergency Paediatric First Aid (6hour)
- Mental Health in the workplace
- Risk Assessment
- Preparation and planning for Educational Visits
- COSHH Awareness
- Fire Marshall
- Display Screen Equipment
- Fire risk Assessment
- Manual Handling
- Evacuation Chair Use
- Asbestos Awareness
- Legionella Awareness (including Water Temperature safety)
- Working at Height
- Accident Reporting
- Managing Contractors
- Fire Awareness
- General Health and Safety Awareness
- In house bespoke training as necessary
- One to one support as required
You would receive a 10% discount on our normal price for any training courses that we run for you.